At Goodwood Capital Management, we’re “numbers” guys. We love sifting through data and trying to understand what is relevant to our long short strategy. Recently, we came across some Morningstar® data that we thought painted an interesting picture for our clients and investors.
Check it out*:
- There are 65 funds in the Morningstar® Long/Short Equity Category
- Only 4 of those long short funds have over $1B in fund assets
- 38 have less than $100 mm in fund assets
- Almost 60% of the category is comprised of funds below $100 mm in assets
- The Long/Short Category has experienced negative net flows of over $698 million in the last 1 year
- Only 21 funds have had positive net flows
- The positive net flows totaled $3.39 billion
- 1 fund garnered $2.8 billion
- Goodwood SMID Long/Short Equity Strategy ranked 15th in net fund flows
- Goodwood SMID Long/Short Equity Strategy gained over $4.5 million over the last 12 months and $19.1 million over the last 3 years
- Goodwood is also 1 of only 2 independent, boutique firms** to have positive net fund flows on a YTD, 1 year and 3 year basis
*Source: Morningstar Direct as of 7/31/17. 121 Funds by Oldest Share Class, 65 funds are US Equity, excludes: sector specific funds and other specialized funds.
**Independent firms, not owned or sponsored by a larger fund family
If you would like to learn more about Goodwood, view our investor presentation or read our quarterly commentary.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Josh Pesses is a Portfolio Manager at Goodwood Capital Management.
Josh joined Goodwood in January, 2013 as a Portfolio Manager. Prior to joining Goodwood, Josh was a Partner and Senior Equity Research Analyst with Maple Leaf Partners, LP from 2007 to 2012. Maple Leaf Partners is a long short equity hedge fund started in New York by Dane Andreeff in 1996. In 2003, Julian Robertson’s Tiger Management seeded Maple Leaf and it became what is commonly referred to as a “Tiger Seed.” The firm eventually grew to over $2 billion in assets under management.
To read Josh Pesses full bio or other Goodwood team members, click here.